We are committed, in collaboration with the town’s citizens and organizations, to preserving Lounsbury House, Ridgefield’s Historic Community Center, for the use and benefit of all.
Lounsbury House, a National Historic Site, was built in 1896 by former Connecticut Governor Phineas C. Lounsbury. While attending the 1893 Chicago World’s Fair, Governor Lounsbury was so taken by the Connecticut State Building that he built a replica to serve as his family home.
Through the efforts of Lounsbury House Women’s Committee, volunteers, and the Board of Directors all the original details have been preserved, from the exquisite moldings to the massive doors and sweeping staircase.
The House Today
In 1953, the town of Ridgefield approved the lease of Lounsbury House to The Ridgefield Veterans’ Memorial Community Center Association, Inc. Now, Lounsbury House is owned by the town of Ridgefield as a non-profit 501(c)3 organization with a Board of Directors and small staff who assume complete financial responsibility for its operation and preservation. Membership dues, annual appeals and fundraising campaigns and events, along with the house rentals, help offset the mounting costs of care and restoration.
Lounsbury House Board of Directors charters the overall operations of the facility and grounds. A Women’s Committee was formed to provide interior designing and purchase of fixtures and furniture as well as the core volunteer organization for the ongoing events. For information about volunteer opportunities, contact us at email@example.com.